Dr Dean Corbett
BSc, MBChB, FRANZCO
Cataract and Vision Corrections Surgeon
Refractive Surgery Fellow, Australian Institute of Vision, Melbourne, Australia 1998
Glaucoma Fellow, Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 1999-2000
About Dean’s career
Dean has been a consultant and surgeon at Auckland Eye since 2000. His main interest is correcting focusing errors including short or near-sightedness (myopia), far or long-sightedness (hyperopia), astigmatism and presbyopia. This is called vision correction (or refractive) surgery and includes:
- Laser vision correction LASIK, SMILE and PRK
- Implantable Contact Lenses (ICL) for people unsuitable for laser eye surgery
- Lens replacement, or cataract surgery, using highly sophisticated replacement lenses (IOL’s) to deliver visual outcomes tailored to individual patients needs
Dean is the only RANZCO recognised fellowship-trained refractive surgeon in New Zealand he is also the second kiwi ophthalmologist in history to be invited to join the prestigious International Intra-Ocular Implant Club (IIIC). His interests in new and novel surgical techniques and devices has lead to an in-depth understanding of the best surgical and non-surgical options for people wanting to reduce their dependency on glasses. Therefore, he can advise patients of the procedure best suited to them, optimising their visual potential and function. Dean is interested in special surgical techniques to maximise patient comfort both during and after cataract surgery, including microincision cataract techniques and “no–needle” topical anaesthesia, ensuring rapid recovery of visual function and comfort.
He has been instrumental in introducing new and innovative products and techniques to both New Zealand patients and surgeons. Notable career highlights are:
- Clinical Tutor specialist Auckland Eye Department 2000
- First specialist ophthalmic appointment at Counties Manukau District Health Board
- First Kiwi surgeon to perform cataract surgery on the Mobile Surgical Services Bus in New Zealand
- First New Zealand surgeon to use: Staar Toric Implantable Contact Lens, Synchrony Dual Optic Accommodating IOL, Lentis M Plus Standard and Toric Multifocal, Acufocus KAMRA Corneal inlay for presbyopia, EnVista Standard
and Toric IOL, PureSee IOL Glaukos i-stent inject, Glaukos i-Stent infinite, Symfony and Symfony Toric IOL, KDB Goniotomy Blade, Fluid Vision IOL
- First surgeon worldwide to implant the AMO Symfony extended range of vision IOL for correction of presbyopia
Dean has spent 20 years as a consultant ophthalmologist at Counties Manukau and Auckland District Health Board, and Senior Clinical Lecturer and tutor to New Zealand ophthalmic registrars. In 2009 he received an award for excellence in registrar training and is a sought after lecturer and educator by GP’s, optometrists, ophthalmology trainees and ophthalmic companies. Dean has affiliations with several ophthalmology, cataract and refractive societies and colleges in New Zealand, Australia and the USA and has lectured extensively at seminars nationally and internationally.
He has published in Scientific journal on the topics of Glaucoma and Cataract and IOL surgery.
Outside of ophthalmology, Dean’s family is very important to him. He shares with his wife Tina 2 children – James his older son is currently studying medicine in Auckland and Gena his daughter is pursuing a career in interior design. He maintains an active lifestyle and enjoys tennis, golf, boating, diving and music.