Healthy Vision Month is a great opportunity to learn about eye health and make sure you and your family understand the importance of taking the necessary steps to maintain healthy vision. Take the time this month to make your eye health a priority and learn how to protect your vision by following our 5 eye health tips:
1. Get a comprehensive eye exam. Many common eye diseases that can lead to vision loss and blindness, such as diabetic eye disease, glaucoma, or age-related macular degeneration (AMD), often have no early warning signs or symptoms. However, the good news is that comprehensive eye exams can detect problems early when they're easier to treat. For this reason , adults ages 18 to 60 should have a comprehensive eye exam at least every two years. Older adults (age 61 and above) should have annual exams.
2. Live a healthy lifestyle. The way to living a healthy lifestyle includes eating a balanced diet to give your body proper nutrition; drink plenty of water; exercise regularly; get adequate sleep; maintain a healthy weight; manage chronic conditions such as diabetes: and refrain from smoking.
3. Wear sunglasses when you are outdoors. Prolonged exposure to sunlight can increase your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. When buying sunglasses, look for those that block out 99 to 100% of both UVA and UVB rays.
4. Know your family history, including any family history of eye problems. Many eye diseases are hereditary and so knowing your full family eye history helps your eye specialist identify potential high-risk areas.
5. Use protective eyewear. Protect your eyes when playing sports, doing household chores or yard work, or at work if your job exposes you to potential eye health hazards (smoke, chemicals, machinery etc).
Book an Appointment at Auckland Eye
Yearly physical? Check. Dentist appointment? Check. But what about your eye health?
It's important to take care of your eyes — just like you take care of the rest of your body!
To tick one of these important steps off the list, book an appointment at Auckland Eye today and get your comprehensive eye exam out of the way for 2019! Call 0800 255 393. We look forward to welcoming you!